It’s a few weeks since I wrote the last entry, I will have to get better.
The weather has been quite mild for this time of year so plants are growing well, including the weeds. I have made a start on weeding a few areas of the plot, first off was the garlic planted last October. After a slow start it is growing well and needed weeding and feeding to keep the growth going.
The next area to be weeded was the small flower bed behind the strawberries, this now needs cultivating and is ready for the season.
I have finished digging where the green tunnel was, what a job that was. The soil was well compacted form several years of walking in it and it was full of perennial roots of mares tail, bindweed and nettle.
I have been clearing out the remains of last years root beds in the tunnels and outside and digging them over for this year. I have emptied one of the leek beds and that is now dug.
The Brassicas, onions and leeks that I sowed in January are transplanted into modules and are growing well. The beetroot and carrots that I sowed in the tunnel three weeks ago are just starting to show through the soil. The new growing year is going well!
I am still harvesting leeks, parsnips, sprouts from last years sowing, and have cut the first broccoli that was planted in the tunnel last September.
The Apricot I planted this year in the big tunnel has started flowering (they need pollinating with a paint brush) and the Nectarine I planted last year is full of flower, more paint brush work!
That’s all for now, hopefully more next week.